Do you want to update Kodi to the latest version? You’ve come to the right place! In two minutes, you’ll have the latest Kodi version installed on whatever device you have.
How to update Kodi?
If you are stuck on an old version and want to know how to update Kodi, the process is quite simple.
In our guide below, we’ll have a look at the reasons for updating, the current Kodi version, how to update, and other important tips.
Kodi Update Tips:
For the best experience, please follow the following guidelines before updating Kodi.
- Change your skin back to Estuary, the default Kodi 17/18 skin! Skins are not backward compatible. If you have one that Kodi 18 doesn’t support, you’ll get a black screen and you’ll need to perform a fresh install.
- Do NOT install the same build on the newest version of Kodi as on the previous version. Builds, like skins, are not backward compatible in most cases. You need a build made for the latest version of Kodi.
- Save yourself some headaches and backup Kodi before upgrading.
- Double-check that you don’t have Android 4.4! In the Android area of your box, go to Settings > About to view Operating System info.
- From your Android main menu, find the Google Play Store icon and click on it.
- Using the search bar (it might be a magnifying glass icon), search for Kodi
- Click on Kodi.
- If you already have the app installed and there is a newer version, click the button that says UPDATE
- If you don’t have Kodi installed yet, click on INSTALL and wait for it to complete.
- Launch Kodi like you normally would on your home screen. The first time you launch Kodi 18, your database will be converted so don’t mess around until it’s done!
Amazon Fire TV Stick
To update Kodi on the Firestick or Fire TV, follow these instructions:
- Download and install the Downloader app from the Amazon Fire Store.
- Launch Downloader
- Click on the Http:// address bar and enter in the following URL: http://kodi.tv/download and click Go.
- Scroll down the Kodi website that opens up and click Android and then scroll down and click on ARMV8A (64 bit)
- Wait for your version of Kodi to finish downloading. Afterward, scroll down and click Install to install Kodi on Fire Stick.
- From the main menu of Kodi, navigate to System > LibreElec/OpenElec > System > Update Channel.
- Select the latest version from the window. A new “Available Versions” window will come up. Click on the latest revision.
- After it’s done downloading, follow any prompts on the screen as it installs for you.
- Head to the official Kodi website, kodi.tv, and click on the blue Download button in the upper right-hand corner.
- Scroll down and select your operating system.
- In the window that pops up, under the Recommended tab, click on the Installer for your operating system.
- After the installer is done, launch it and install Kodi like you would any other application.
- From the Xbox One home screen, click the magnifying glass search button.
- Search for Kodi
- If a new version of Kodi is available, click on Update
- After it is done downloading, you’ll have the latest version of Kodi installed
- Launch Kodi from your home apps screen like normal
Note, due to the wide variety of Kodi builds, we are not responsible for any issues with the upgrade. Not all Kodi 17 builds are compatible with Kodi 18.
If you are unsure, it’s recommended that you change back to Estuary or delete Kodi and start fresh.
Congratulations, we’ve shown you how to update Kodi to the latest version.
How to update Kodi on firestick?
If you want to update your version of Kodi to the latest release, just follow the simple step-by-step instructions below:
- Download an app called Downloader from the Amazon Appstore.
- Long-press the Home button.
- Launch Downloader.
- In the box below Enter the URL of the website you want to load or the file you want to download, type https://kodi.tv/download and select Go.
- Use the remote to select Android.
- Choose either the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Kodi. First-generation Fire sticks have 32-bit CPUs; the newer ones have 64-bit.
- Choose the Release version of the app. Nightly builds are more likely to contain bugs.
- Wait for the APK file to download.
- When complete, Downloader will automatically attempt to install it.
- On the on-screen pop-up, click on Install.
You will now have the latest version of Kodi running on your Amazon Fire Stick. All your content and settings should have been retained.
How to update Kodi 17.3 on firestick?
- Using your FireStick / Fire TV, go to the Home screen by pressing the Home button on the Fire TV remote.
- Enable ADB Debugging on your Fire TV by going to the System / Settings area. Make sure ADB Debugging is Enabled and Apps From Unknown Sources are both enabled because Kodi requires that both of these are turned on to install.
- After these are enabled, return to the Fire TV home screen
- Go to Search
- Search for “Downloader“
- If you haven’t already done so, select the word “Downloader” to search for the Downloader app
- In the search results, select “Apps & Games” (for the updated version of Amazon Fire OS)
- Now select Download or Install or OK
- Wait a few seconds for the Kodi Downloader app to install
- Now select OPEN using the Fire TV Remote to launch the Downloader app
- In the Downloader app, Enter “http://bit.ly/kodi173arm” without the quotes.
- The link above is the short link to direct download the Kodi 17.3 (“Krypton”) Official Release (released Feb 5th, 2017).
- Alternatively, to install Kodi 17 Krypton on other devices, check out our install Kodi on Android or other Kodi install guides. Previously, we could enter “http://bit.ly/kodi161arm” to install Kodi on Fire Stick, which is short for “Kodi 16.1 ARM version”. But Kodi 16 Jarvis is no longer supported, so don’t use it.
- For Kodi Release Candidate 3 FireStick installer file (“apk file”), enter http://bit.ly/kodi17rc3.
- Select DOWNLOAD
- Wait for the Kodi download to complete.
- If the Downloader app doesn’t launch the Kodi installer for you, then select “Open File“.
- After the Kodi installer launches, your Fire TV should ask if you’d like to “Install” or “Cancel”. Select “Install“.
- Wait for Kodi to install.
- After Kodi installs, select “Open App” or “Launch App” to launch Kodi for the first time
- Now install TV Addons and protect your Kodi streams
How to update Kodi 17 on firestick?
- Go to the FireStick / Fire TV Home screen. Do this by pressing the Home (house icon) button on the FireTV remote.
- Then Enable ADB Debugging on your Fire TV. Do this by going to the System / Settings area. After you’re there, turn ON ADB Debugging. Also, enable Apps From Unknown Sources. Kodi needs both of these options turned on to install Kodi 17.1 on FireStick.
- Now go back to the Fire TV home screen
- Find and then select Search
- Enter the word “Downloader“ into the Search box
- Select the word “Downloader” to search for the Downloader app
- In the results, choose “Apps & Games” (if necessary; for the newer version of Amazon Fire OS for Fire TV boxes)
- Now choose “Download” or Install or “OK”
- Wait up to a minute for the Kodi Downloader app to finish installing
- Then choose OPEN
- After the Downloader app is launched, Enter “http://bit.ly/kodi173arm” without the quotes to download and install Kodi 17.1 on FireStick.
- The link above is the short link to download Kodi 17.1 (“Krypton”) APK file for Android & Fire TV / FireStick.
- Or, install (the “older”) Kodi 16.1 Jarvis instead of Kodi 17 Krypton: Just enter “http://bit.ly/kodi161arm“.
- Then choose “DOWNLOAD”
- Wait up to a minute for the Kodi download to finish. If the Kodi installer doesn’t start, choose “Open App”.
- Once the Kodi installer files launch, the FireStick / FireTV asks if you want to “Cancel” or “Install”. Choose “Install“.
- Wait once more, this time finishes the install Kodi 17.1 on FireStick process.
- Once Kodi installs, choose “Open App”.
- Now you need to install TV Addons and protect your Kodi streams
How to update Kodi 17.4 on firestick?
1. This is the opening screen on the Amazon Fire TV Stick. At the top of the Amazon Fire TV Stick Main Menu, go to Settings.
2. After clicking on Settings, you will see a screen that looks like this.
3. Navigate to the right to access Device.
4. After selecting Device, select Developer Options.
5. Turn on AP Debugging and Apps from Unknown Sources.
6. Download and open Downloader.
7. Go to Settings.
10. Your screen should look like this.
11. Click on the box to enter a URL.
12. Enter in the following: http://bit.ly/kodi174.
13. The file will download.
14. Install Kodi 17.4.
15. Kodi 17.4 will install.
16. Click Open.
17. Kodi 17.4 will now open on your Amazon Fire TV Stick.
You now have Kodi 17.4 installed on your Amazon Fire TV Stick.